Enjoy Living an Organic Lifestyle

As you begin shopping around for organic, you will discover that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) breaks this down into three categories. Organic products consisting of less than 70%25 organic ingredients may or may not list the organically produced ingredients on the package label. However, any organic claims cannot be made on the front side of the package.

1. 100%25 Organic - All the ingredients are just that - 100%25 organic

2. Organic - Ingredients are a minimum of 95%25 organic

3. Made with Organic Ingredients - Ingredients are a minimum of 70%25 organic and the remaining 30%25 have tight restrictions, which includes GMOs

In addition, the USDA provides an organic seal, which is a guarantee to consumers that the integrity and quality of the product meets high standards. Any operation that is organic-certified is required to maintain a system plan along with records whereby compliance can be verified. To ensure the standards are met, these operators are required to undergo random inspections. Organic practices are very specific, which include:

* Crop Rotation - Alternating each field with different types of crops to help stop soil depletion and to prevent breeding grounds for insects

* Replanting - Planting some crops such as clover to help add nutrients to the soil, as well as increase organic matter and prevent weeks

* Insects - Using good insects such as ladybugs and lacewings to fight against bad insects

* Compost - Adding compost (manure, plant waste, food scraps) helps the soil retain nutrients and moisture

* Disease - Feeding livestock organic foods while providing them with a stress-free environment to prevent disease and maintain healthy animals

With organic crops and livestock, no pesticides or chemical fertilizers are used, which contaminate both soil and water supply. You will discover much more in my book The Ultimate Organic Lifestyle, learning all about organic living and what you can do to begin living an organic life. You will enjoy cooking with organic foods and find that you feel better and when you buy organic you are actually working toward improving our ecosystem. Remember, organic is not just a process but a complete change of life - for the BETTER!

Claus Stokholm is the author of the book The Ultimate Organic Lifestyle www.adamsorganics.com

Whole Grain RecipeS - Training Videos

Visit all our training tutorials and videos on milling, whole grain recipes, healthy baking tips, and money saving ideas. Please leave a comment and subscribe...

Watch our series on How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins:

Here are a few of our Latest Articles

I always visit your site when I need a great recipe for a special occasion. Thanks for the great tips. LS, Ft. Myers

Tags: dolor ipsum lorem sit amet dolor ipsum lorem sit amet